Places To Go
Whilst staying in our holiday cottages near Ellesmere, there are plenty of lovely Shropshire places to visit, listed below are just a few:
Ellesmere is a lovely market town (known as Shropshire Lakeland). The town is situated between the mere and the Shropshire/ Llangollen Canal. The town is surrounded by 9 meres evolved during the Ice Age. Some of these you can walk round, this includes Colemere which has a lovely circular walk around it. Ellesmere has some individual shops along with a large supermarket, newsagents, banks,pubs, petrol station, vets, tea shops and takeaways.
The Shropshire holiday cottages are located near to the lovely market town of Ellesmere (known as Shropshire's Lakeland). The town is situated between the beautiful mere and the Shropshire/Llangollen Canal, surrounded by 9 meres evolved from the iceage. Stroll through the Cremorne Gardens (pushchair and wheelchair friendly) and make friends with the ducks.
Nearby are the National Trust properties of Chirk Castle, Erddig Hall (Nr Wrexham), Attingham Park (Shrewsbury) and Powis Castle (Welshpool).
On our doorstep is the Welsh town of Llangollen on the banks of the River Dee, it is famous for the International Eisteddford, horse drawn canal boat rides, and it's steam railway. Thomas the Tank engine and friends visit here sometimes. Llangollen also has the remains of Dinas Bran Castle, Valle Crucis Abbey, the Horseshoe falls and the Horseshoe Pass one of the most spectacular drives in Wales.
At Llanrhaedr Ym Mochant there is the spectacular Pistyll Rhaedr- the tallest waterfall in Wales. Well worth the climb!
Other Local Attractions
- The World Famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct- cross over on foot or by boat.
- Oswestry with it's ancient Hill Fort, indoor market and regular farmers market
- Chirk Car Boot Sale, this is held every Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays - it is one of the largest in the country!
- Whittington Castle
- Park Hall Farm Experience
- Roman City of Chester and Chester Zoo, close to Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet Village and Blue Planet Aquarium.
- Shrewsbury, with its unique shops and the Quarry. Beautiful Flower Show held here every August.
- The woodland fantasy of Hawkstone Park with all its follies
Celebrated our Ruby Wedding anniversary here with Family. A really beautiful setting with a fantastic set out, and equipped cottage, we have had a memorable few days here.
- Bowles Family